WHY JANE ADDAMS ?

WHY JANE ADDAMS ?

I entered the doctoral program at Jane Addams College of Social Work with a broad interest in veterans’ issues, but the program’s coursework has since helped me to refine my research focus. For example, one practical course assignment resulted in original research on veterans’ health care utilization. An abstract for this project was submitted and accepted for a poster presentation at the annual meeting of the Society for Social Work and Research in Washington, D.C. Over the last two years, I have also been fortunate to work with well-respected researchers through two research assistantships, teach a master’s level course on military social work, and gain service experience as a student representative on the Jane Addams College of Social Work’s Doctoral Committee. Now that I am focusing almost exclusively on my dissertation and publishing, I am especially grateful to have the continued support and guidance of my dissertation committee, faculty-at-large, and my fellow doctoral students.

Andrew I. Repp, MSW
Doctoral Student
Email: arepp3@uic.edu

As a Latina and Chicago native, I have made a conscious decision to appreciate and become a part of the gems that the city has to offer. I have found this decision to be important in my personal and professional life. The Jane Addams College of Social Work (JACSW), at the University of Illinois at Chicago has played a major role in my life for this same reason. From the moment I first stepped into the College in the spring of 1998, I knew that I was walking in as Judith S. Rocha and I would be walking out as a professional. The College mission to address urban needs was exactly what this city girl was looking to get from an education. Coming back for the second and now third degree at the College attests to the fact that I am invested in the relationships I have created at the JACSW. My educational journey has afforded me incredible career opportunities and I continue to flourish as a person in society that stands for social justice, inclusion and diversity.

Judith S. Rocha, LCSW
(BSW ’01, MSW ’05, PhD Candidate)
Email: jrocha2@uic.edu