Financial Aid Information

Graduate education, particularly when pursuing the MSW/MPH joint degree, is an important investment of time and money. Students have the primary responsibility for that investment and should be prepared to pay their tuition and fees if they do not receive any support or receive partial support from the College or from an external source.

The Jane Addams College of Social Work has responsibilities also. First, the College is responsible for providing financial support to help ensure the student body is academically talented and diverse. Second, to the extent possible, the College helps students become aware of external support that will help them finance their graduate education. Normally any financial support from the College and/or external sources meet only a portion of a student’s financial need. Therefore, individuals, before beginning the application process, should give serious thought to how they will finance their education.

Information about financial aid within the School of Public Health is available here

Opportunities for financial support generally fall into two categories:

Financial Aid

At UIC the term “financial aid” is used normally when referring to student loans and work study which are administered by the UIC Office of Student Financial Aid. Contact that office at 312-996-3126 or visit the website:

Other Financial Assistance

Other financial support often is referred to as financial assistance. The Office of Admissions and Financial Aid at the College can be contacted about financial assistance by telephoning 312-996-3218.

All eligible United States citizens and permanent residents interested in being considered for JACSW financial support should submit online a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This should be done between January 1 and March 1 at www.fafsa.ed/gov. March 1 is the submission deadline suggested by UIC. Not doing so may put students at a competitive disadvantage.

International students cannot submit the online FAFSA. They are required, however, to submit to the University the “Declaration and Certificate of Finances” form to attest they have sufficient financial resources to cover all tuition and fees and living expenses for the first year of graduate study. There is no such requirement for the second year of graduate study. Finally, all applicants and students should understand that most financial support administered by the JACSW is need or field based and requires students to be registered for 12 or more semester hours during the fall and spring semesters or 6 or more semester hours during the summer. Consequently, most first and second year PM – Extended Study students are not eligible for most support provide through the College. Generally they are eligible for student loans and summer tuition and fee waivers if enrolled in six or more semester hours.

Further Information
Students can contact the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid at the College regarding college administered awards, assistantships, and other sources of financial support. Telephone 312-996-3218 or e-mail
They can contact the UIC Office of Student Financial Aid with regarding questions concerning student loans, work study, or the FAFSA.

Current Students

Prospective Students

(Visited 500 times, 2 visits today)