JACSW 2019 Commencement FAQ
JACSW Commencement FAQ
1. When is Commencement for the Jane Addams College of Social Work?
Commencement will be held on Friday, May 10, 2019 at 9:00 am. The ceremony will be held at the Credit Union 1 Arena (formerly UIC Pavilion), 525 S. Racine Avenue, Chicago, IL 60607. Please share this information with your guests. Parking will be free in the Harrison Street Parking Structure, 1100 W. Harrison Street.
2. How many tickets can I receive for my guests?
No tickets are required for the Jane Addams Commencement. You need not limit the number of guests you invite.
3. How long will the College Commencement Ceremony last?
The ceremony will last approximately 2 hours. A reception with light refreshments will occur immediately after the ceremony in Student Services Building (SSB), 1200 W. Harrison Street.
4. What color robe/cap/tassel do I purchase?
Jane Addams College of Social Work academic regalia includes the following:
- Masters: blue cap, blue gown, hood (lined with flame and indigo), tassel and hood color are Citron. Cost: $89.99
- Ph.D.: red cap, red gown, gold tassel, and indigo hood lined with flame and indigo. Cost: $89.99
Academic apparel will be available at the UIC Bookstore in Student Center East, 750 South Halsted. They will send an email on when sales will begin. Graduates will be able to view gowns and other apparel at that time. Contact the bookstore directly at (312) 413-5500 for the most up to date pricing and availability.
5. Where can I get information about hotel accommodations near UIC?
Please visit UIC’s Visitor Information Page.
6. Is seating available for disabled/hearing impaired students, faculty and guests?
Yes. You will need to call Credit Union 1 Arena to make arrangements at 312-413-5700.
7. What time should I arrive for the commencement?
The doors to Credit Union 1 Arena open at 8:00 am, and students should plan to arrive at that time. Detailed instructions on what to do the day of the ceremony will be emailed as we get closer to commencement.
8. Will my name be called at Commencement?
Yes. All graduates will be individually recognized when degrees are conferred. In April you will be given a name card and instructions on how to ensure you are properly announced at commencement.
9. How do I order photographs from the ceremony?
Photos of the ceremony and of individual graduates will be taken by GradImages. Mailing addresses and UIC email addresses of graduates will be submitted to GradImages prior to the ceremony. This information will be used to contact graduates regarding the process of ordering photos. If you do not want your contact information submitted to GradImages, please contact the Office of Academic Affairs and Student Services by Friday, April 5.
10. Are there any items that my guests and I cannot bring into the ceremony?
Yes. Credit Union 1 Arena prohibits certain items from being brought into the arena, including bags larger than 12” X 6” X 12”. Metal detectors will be in use and all bags will be searched. For a full list of prohibited items, visit the Credit Union 1 Arena’s FAQs.
11. When will I receive my diploma?
Diplomas will be mailed to graduates approximately one to two weeks after degree certification. Name and/or address changes must be made in writing to the Office of Records and Registration to ensure receipt of your diploma. If you have any questions regarding your diploma, please contact the Office of Records and Registration at (312) 996-4381.