MSW Program Requirements
Slate Ping Title
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college/university
- Grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.75 (A=4.0) for the final 60 semester/90 quarter hours of undergraduate study
- Liberal arts background consisting of credit received on the collegiate level in the following area: Social and Behavioral Sciences (20 semester/30 quarter hours)
- English composition, with a minimum grade of “C”
- Statistics course passed within the past six years, with a minimum grade of “C”
The minimum requirements and supporting documentation MUST be received by the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid by June 30 WITHOUT EXCEPTIONS.
Interviews are required for transfer applicants. All other interviews are at the discretion of the Assistant Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid.
Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. The complete application is taken into consideration during the application review process. All complete applications submitted by the deadline are reviewed and given consideration.
Candidates must complete 62 semester hours at the 500 level, including work in each of five curriculum areas: human behavior and the social environment; social work practice; social work research; social welfare policy and services; and field instruction. A cumulative grade point average of at least 3.00 (A=4.00) must be maintained.
The full-time master’s degree program option is structured around 28 semester hours in a first-year foundation and 34 semester hours of advanced study in an advanced specialization.
A three-year program option is also available. Requirements for the Generalist portion are completed in two part-time years and the Specialization requirements are completed in a full-time resident year of day classes.
A minimum of 9 semester hours must be earned at the University of Illinois at Chicago in each of two consecutive terms.
Transfer of Credit
A maximum of 28 hours of credit may be transferred for work taken elsewhere. No course with a grade less than B can be transferred.
All requirements must be completed within six years, excluding military service.